One of the key elements of a healthy relationship is respect, however at the beginning it is difficult to see whether your partner truly respects you. Even though it is often obvious that you are being disrespected, it is sometimes hard to see the signs particularly because everyone has a different definition about respect.
Respect is something that can’t be measured which is why little research has been done regarding this topic. However, psychologists have been able to create a definition about respect which includes the following:
Most of the subjects in the study had the same concept about respect and they agreed that the following 5 things are a definite sign that your partner is being disrespectful.
1. He/she tells you what is wrong with youMajority of people are aware of their own flaws which is why there is no need of constantly pointing them out. Some find it very difficult to accept themselves with all their flaws so being reminded about them is not very helpful. If your partner does this to you it is a clear sign that he/she is disrespectful. Talk openly about how this makes you feel and let them know you are aware that you are not perfect.
2. He/she doesn’t listen to you
Respect can also be shown through the ability to listen carefully to what your partner is telling you. The communication breaks down if one of the people in the conversation keeps interrupting
the other or seems distant. Besides listening, responding is also a very important part of a healthy conversation because it shows you are fully present in the moment.
3. He/she always does things his/her way
Being in a healthy relationship means having the same and equal rights. No one should always be right or have things their way. One of the keys to a respectful relationship is being able to compromise.
If you partner insists on having full control over your relationship it means he/she does not respect you enough to value your opinions and needs. Talk about what bothers you and try to point out that you are not going to accept that kind of behavior.
4. He/she disrespects your friends and family
Let’s face it, your partner will never love your friends and family as much as you do. However, this does not mean that he/she should treat them without respect. If you get married in the future this could become even a bigger issue.
Having a good relationship with your partner’s friends and family is very important if you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.
5. He/she is constantly unkind
Harming other people especially if it is intentional, is a red flag that your partner is being disrespectful. Attacking someone whether it is physically or verbally shows how little your partner cares about you or other people’s feelings. He/she should know that everyone is responsible for their own words and actions and he needs to know the consequences of that kind of behavior.